Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tips on Weight Management during Ramadhan

It was another day in the SKO Office, but this time its Ramdhan month. Life in Miri during Ramadhan not much of a difference back in Keramat. People throng to Bazaar Ramadhan after office hour and at night muslim congregate to nearby mosque for Solat Terawih. It was a last day of the week and as usual my intention of coming to work on Friday was to publish many reports and update the boss on the inititaives.  Furtherore I'm heading back to Keramat that evening and I am doing necessary arrangement for my flight back home.
Over the SKO PA system, I heard announcement that a Session on Diet Rasulullah and how to lose 10-15kg during fasting month will be conducted in the morning. I took it just another in-house training course to occupy our time in the office. At first I was instigated by Fairuz, my fellow colleague to join the session and hesitantly I gave him lame excuse of meeting datelines for me to skip the session. But the fact is, I did not see any benefit of attending the session as I was already loosing my weight coming to the end of the first week of Ramadhan. I assumed that there will be nothing new coming from the words of the trainer and having worked in the Nestle before, I think i know everything related to nutrition at the back of my hand. So I just continued doing my work lazily, checking in on line, printing the boarding pass and planning the rest of the day ahead.
As time went by, I managed to get my jobs completed earlier than i expected, and I felt nothing else to do much. Then came Hidayah asking me to join him in the session. I thought, why don't I give it a try since Hidayah, having the size of me was very eager to go.There must be something special about this session, so I walked my way to Dining Hall where the venue of the event took place.
When we reached there, the session was already started with aerobics exercise . At that  time it was  a different scene from the one you could see in a gym or any aerobic class. I could see the exercise was being done with the participant sitting on the banquet chair. With energetic music and a lovely instructor, immediately I got into the mood and rhythm. I sat at the back of the room, joining with the rest. It was a very simple exercise to follow, you just have to do bench press, stretching your arms outwards, to the side and upwards while thumping your feet to the floor at the same time. And repeats that for a few rounds. Not bad for a novice like me as compared to the Poco - Poco dance I joined during the HSE Day. I can see that the exercise can be done anywhere especially in the office. We did a few rounds and after 10 minutes I could feel the difference. The good things was, I did not feel exhausted. Wow, it's gonna go into my routine exercise that I can do in  my room,but not in the office just yet.
The session become more interesting when the trainer move into discussing the topics. The first trainer, Ms Ayusandha, the training instructor gave some tips on exercise that can be done during Ramadhan especially before sahur. Simple yet effective, the exercise just focus at the thigh position. Ms Ayusandha (the alter ego name of the instructor) mentioned that we need to take coffee prior doing any exercise, as it will strip off the fat from your body if you practice it.
Then came the instructor, Benjamin Redza to further excited the audience. Having experience as the nutritionist for Kelantan Footbal Club and once served in Istana of Johor, he definitely a person you will took every advice that you hear from him, and he is also a cancer survivor He shared many interesting topics which very practicable to anybody. Below are some pointers and tips that I managed to put down in the interest of those who accidentally bump into my blog.
1.We must differentiate between hunger and appetite. In malay both mean lapar, and this switch your brain giving signal to the body that you are hungry. What we require is the use of word balance diet.
2.There are two ways our body giving the signal in relation to how much food the body want to consume. Control these two signals, you are one step closer in managing your body weight properly.
First signal is a signal from your stomach to the brain. When this signal being transmitted your become hungry instantly. This signal goes very fast as compared to signal the brain sent to the stomach when you are already full. Generally it will take 20-30 minutes for the second signal to be transmitted. He advised us to spend time less than 20 minutes for each meal. If you are taking more than 20 minutes, you are taking more than what your body needed. Chew your food 20-40 times to prolonged the time.
3.The type of blood determine the pattern of food intake. Me, a group B type, is people with less vulnerable to virus because we have better antibody system. We can do exercise like brisk walking, swimming to control our weight.
4. How to "service" your intestine by flushing. Take Nata de Coco(soluble fibre), 5-6 teasponful every day, and you will see the different in the stool after 3rd day. The intestine, after being flushed will ensure your digestive system work effectively. You will not become hungry easily, and the nutrient can be transported fast if your digestive system working well.
To complement this, take yakult
 5.Take Yakult, instead VaiTOGERN, as yakult has more bacteria count than the latter. Yakult works  better for the same quantity of serving.
6. Sign of toxin accumulation can be seen in the colour of your finger nails.
    Pink-you are in a pink of health
    Purple-you are in danger, that is the sign of toxin accumulation in the body.
7. Sign of high cholestrol - dark mark in the neck,around  armpit and thigh
8. Dates, honey, and raisin is the most effective source of carbohydrate/glucose. It will go into the blood stream faster than any other food source. The faster it turn into glucose, the faster your body energized.
9.Drink lot of plain water before and after sleeps. Gargle you drinks in the mouth before consuming. It will collect in the amylase enzyme in the  mouth that help in the digestive system.
10. Effective body weight Management, S.E.S
      S-Ah damn...I forgot what S stand for, something to do with food intake
      E-Exercise Regularly
      S-Sleep, get enough rest and sleep in between exercise



No comments:

Post a Comment