Saturday, July 10, 2010

In Memories of Allayarham Pokda and Pakcik



This year mark the saddest chapter in my life for having to say goodbye to my beloved Uncles. Not one but two of them in a very short times. In memory of both Pokda and Pakcik, I would pen down all the memories that I could remember and eternalized them in this chapter of blog.
I spent my good years in early days having going back to kampung being greeted by my uncles and aunties. Being the eldest definitely give joy to the family especially seeing me playing in the courtyard of Berek Polis Pt Yusof. My best buddy that time was Ijan, the eldest son of Pokda as we were the only boys at that time who know how to create havoc and "terrorize" our neighbours and yet at the same time would gave our innocence looks once we retreat back inside the Police barrack . As I remember, Pokda would play with us especially football as that the only game that he could play . Since Pokda was the third child of the family, most of the time he spent in Kampung sharing thoughts and laughters with the elder family members. It was not that frequent that he came back to kampung as Policeman serving his duty in Bahau he did not have proper transportion. That was why he treasured every minutes when he stayed in Kampung.
In his younger years, Pakcik was the closest uncle to me. I would play around with him, being teased around and having sit on his laps whenever I need comfortness. He was the one that every cucu of Atuk Abu looks to whenever we need to lighten up our days. We can see how joyful he was whenever he was around with his nieces and nephews. The genuine feelings still stands until the final weeks before his sudden death. We will always remember how he would teach us whenever we were vacationing at Pengkalan Balak and Port Dickson on how to swim. He had a systematic approach to do it where he would first teach us how to hold our breath in water, and then floating yourselves as a basic thing that you need to know.


When people cheerful, he did not hide it. Same goes to Pakcik whom we know liked singing very much. I remember when I was 3-4 years old, he taught me a few lyrics that goes like this, "Jangan tunggu lama-lama, nanti lama-lama, dia diambil orang". I though somebody was going to take my toy gun from me and I remember instantly the lyrics. That night, Pakcik told me to tease Pak Anjang by singing those lyrics infront of everybody. We were all gathering after Pak Anjang engagement that night. After singing those lyrics I was relieved that I still kept my toy gun but my cheeks turned red for making fools of myself that night. My mom taught it was menggatal ( cheeky) but which 3 years old boy in this world know the meaning of those lyrics. Although we knew for sure that Pakcik was terribly off-pitched, he did not bother about it. Supposed Simon Cowell heard Pakcik singing, definitely his comments would be screened-off when Pakcik took to the "centre stage". He would just keep singing all the songs that he knew being played if he managed to grab his hand on a microphone. Here is the proof of how "conquering" he was with the mic during Zahari's wedding.


I still remember how geneorous Pakcik was when he took me out for a treats at KFC and watching movie afterward if I managed to score good grades in my exam. His generosity was equal than others.Every weekend was always the time I've been waiting for a game of badminton with Pakcik. He would shower you with prizes and I remember i was given his Gold coloured badminton racket costing RM 50 in 1985 when I scored 5A'S in my Penilain Darjah Lima. With that racket I finally had my sweet revenge whenever I played Badminton in front of my house. Sometime also I managed to defeat Pakcik in a game or two. It really looked awkward if a 11 years old boy managed to beat his uncle using the steely gate as a the "net" and parking space as a court. But somehow after a few years I could sense the result was predetermined since he wanted to build my confidence in the game. He knew that I was running for a spot in the School Badminton's Team and tactfully his "encouragements" did work.

Wow, after writing this journal for a moments, all the memories keep flashing back to me like a film story that will never end. I do not have the strength to write and describe beautifully all the memories that I had together with Pokda and Pakcik as I tried to hold my tears back of my eyes. Whenever I read back this entry and seeing their pictures I could hear their laughter and cheerful voices. Let reserve our prayer for them ...Al Fatihah

No comments:

Post a Comment