Friday, October 14, 2011

Roughneck at works .....in Miri


I have yet to embrace the full idea of blogging let alone starts blogging to make my cash register ringing.I just put my brave "hidden face" in the blogsphere knowing that my London English is not up to the standard, surely all my English teachers Mrs Sidhu, Mrs Hanizah would definitely put corrections on my grammar if they were to read entries in my blog.
It was quite a tough task to get a name for my blogs as if you want to name your first born baby. I want it to be easily remembered, catchy and above it all , it represent me on how I look at things. Often the times I read a lot of my friends blogs that really describe them very well and fit nicely the i.e Jumper's Playground, that tell about how my friend spent wisely his time with life and works, Between My Legs(Engku Emran's blogs), not as vivid as it sounds but worth naming it base on his passion for big bikes. After a very long toughts, I name it Roughnecksatworks.
At first I did not know what is the meaning of roughneck. I probably heard it somewhere in a film or movie. Oh yes, now I remember . It was in the Starship Troopers movie a name of a troop which are trained to fight the alien insect.The closest thing I know about anything relates to neck is the redneck. No, no never put your kids name Redneck or try call anybody in US by that name just to impress people on how red their necks are..It means (from Wikipedia) historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor white farmers. The Hillbillies are that kind of peoples fits nicely the description. Lucky I'm in Malaysia but the closest reference we have here is Orang Kampung, but the name does not bear a notorious meaning as Rednecks in US. Ok back to the roughnecks meaning, as usual I googled it and look into the meaning of it and according ever reliable source of Wikipedia it safely mean slang term for a person whose occupation is hard-manual labour, typically in a dangerous working environment. Well, hard-manual labour...it describe how I have been working hands on on all my assignments though hate it very much. I am famous for doing manual labour work when I was in Japanese Electro plating company working as Engineer. I remember a guy call me Jurutera berjiwa rakyat (People's Engineer) for doing laborious work of changing Copper anode alone during Preventive Maintenance. It was supposed to be done by my operators but often I helped them just to feel how it was being done. I realized it was a tough job cleaning almost 400 kg of Copper anodes but somehow i liked it very much because it made me sweats. How about dangerous working environment...Luckily , I live to tell you about it after working in Electroplating company for 9 years. How about if I tell you that Cyanide was a "play thing" in this company. An exposure of 100 ppm could send you 6 feet below underground. I heard a few fatal incidence in the company related to Cyanide leakages and suffice to say that you will suffer enough before you die if you inhaled excessively.
So, after deep thoughts I finally named my blog Roughneck at work and it describe very much of my interest and work that i've done. 1 year plus later, little that I know that it will point to things in the future that will change my career and life.
In the Wikipedia page there is a picture showing an oil man working on a drill. It did not trigger me very much on the picture but now suddenly things are appearing very much to my life recently. First, only recently in Aug I got a call from Petronas for an Interview for HSE Executive position. I could not remember when did I apply to it after dozens of dozens of my application were turned down. Before that I had lost my hope working for Petronas as It was my dream job to work there. I could remember that I had a photo clipping of Dr Mahathir overlooking the Petronas Twin Tower model when it was first officiated in 1993. I put the photo at my desk when I was studying at Sekolah Alam Shah during matriculation years showing how proud I am as a Malaysian that we would soon have the tallest building in the world.
I've gone through the interview on 12th August, rather it was term as Technical Assesment in Petronas without much difficulty as I am an SME on the Safety Subject. In the end of the interview' i was kind given the assurance that I am suitable for the post and they would reply in due time. Waiting anxiously and after a few courtesy calls to Ms Maizurah, the personnel who attended my offer, I received a formal Offer Letter on the employment. Well the surprise did not end there. Inside the letter, I was informed that I will be posted at Miri, 1000 km away from my home.But on second thought 1000 km is not that far if you convert it to the time Light travels, it will be zillion of zillion of light seconds. Last check in the net, I have not come across with news that the Star Trek transporter has been commercially available in the market. So I have to make do with the only feasible mean of transport these days which is through Belon (Aircraft in Sarawak dialect) .

No comments:

Post a Comment